Tuesday, October 26, 2010

One month and still here

One month ago today we held Faith in our arms and one month ago today Jesus called her home to dance with Him in Heaven. One month ago we doted on her. One month ago we held her tiny self with all the love a family can have. One month ago I kissed those perfect little fingers and marveled at her precious fingernails. One month ago she was here, in the same room with us. One month feels like an eternity!  It feels so long since I have smelled her sweet baby smell and looked upon my daughter's beautiful face. One month and I know so much more now...I love so much more now.

My heart aches for her each and every day. There isn't a day that goes by without drying tears wept over our loss. I still have an open wound where my little girl is supposed to be. However, with each passing day, I am reminded that He carries me and our family. There have been so many days this past month through which I didn't think I could manage. But I have. I am still here. Still walking, breathing, and, even sometimes, laughing. I am still here seeing the golden nuggets God has given us along this journey. I am still here with unspeakable joy and peace for what my Lord has given and for what He has taken away. I have peace that Faith came into our lives in His perfect time and in His perfect way. I rest in this. I so often wonder how people survive something like this without leaning upon Jesus for comfort, without having God's promises on which to cling. I know that our faith has carried us and I cling daily to the promise I will get to hold Faith in my arms again, kiss those perfect little hands, and smell her sweet baby smell.

It happened today. I took Jackson to gymnastics for his Tuesday night class and sat next to the other mommies and daddies watching their preschoolers learn how to tumble, sit in a pike, and blast off from a tuck position. Jackson loves gymnastics and always looks forward to our Tuesday night dates. I, however, have learned that if there is a pregnant woman or a baby girl within a mile, they are going to find me. It has actually become a bit of a joke in our house and almost a competition week to week of how many we can find. Please understand, first, that I love babies and pregnant women. I always have. Now, I react differently when I see them. Now I see baby girls and pray. 'Please, Father, give this mommy and daddy extra love in their hearts, patience in their homes, and let them see the miracle they have before them.' Pregnant mommies are a little different. I almost weep in prayer for them-praying that they never have to endure the loss. Praying that their child is healthy and gets to go home with them (as Jackson would say). I throw myself to kneel in front of our Father's throne and prayerfully request, or just plain beg Him, to spare them sorrow. Funny thing-each time I pray that prayer, I am reminded of all we have learned and gained from Faith. So every time I also pray that, if He would be glorified by their family having a similar journey, that He carry them through just as He has carried our family with bountiful grace. Every time I change my prayer to 'Thy will be done' and I trust Him. As Nonna said "I wouldn't wish this journey upon anyone, but wouldn't trade it for the world."

So, what happened? The little gymnasts wore their Halloween costumes to gymnastics class today. How funny to see a mermaid, Spider man, kitty cats, and our little football player tumbling! This actually sparked some conversation between some of the moms and I. 'Who is yours?', "Oh, you have the princess!", 'How cute!' among the other niceties that mommies say to each other during these proud mommy moments. One of the moms spoke about the hand-me-down princess costume her daughter was wearing. Ridden with guilt, she made up for the costume with precious goodie bags for all the kids. After she shared about their costume debacle, she asked the question. "So, how many kids do you have?" Hmmmm...do I spare her the truth or just lay it out there? So many thoughts and emotions raced through my mind. I decided in that moment that I will always claim Faith and allow God to take the conversations where He may. He may use this question to open the door to our testimony about our journey with our baby girl. He might bring us other parents who have lost a child and a friend who understands the loss. He might just use Faith a little more because He has not finished her story, people she still needs to touch. Perhaps His glory is at stake in these conversations and someone needs to hear how mighty and merciful our Jesus is in our daily lives. So, I openly and honestly told the other mom that I am learning how to answer that question. "My husband and I have two children. Our son, Jackson, is 3 and our daughter, Faith, was born a month ago and is dancing with Jesus in Heaven." She looked shocked for a moment and gave her condolences. She then did the greatest thing another person could do. She asked about our baby girl. Oh, what a gift she gave...

I continue to thank God for giving us all of you in our lives! You have enriched our family and our faith beyond measure. When our hearts break open and we feel the depth of our hurt, you are all there praying for us and encouraging us. Thank you doesn't come close to expressing our gratitude. So many of you have opened up and shared personally how Faith Marie has touched you and your family. You have shared how her legacy lives on through changed lives and families. What peace that has brought to us! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I understand what it has taken for you to open up and share with us personally. It is a strange feeling to open up to someone else like I have opened up to all of you. It is almost like walking into the world exposed, without anything to hide or protect the parts you don't want seen. I almost didn't start our blog because Shawn and I didn't want to 'burden' any of you with our pain. My, how I was wrong! Without opening up and exposing myself and our family, we would have missed out on some of God's greatest gifts He had for us through Faith's life. Without opening up and exposing us, I would have missed the chance to do something I love and have missed. I have always loved to write, but I haven't taken the time or had an inspiration to continue writing until now. So, again, I thank you for listening and exposing yourself to us. We are honored you have trusted us so and please know you are all in our daily prayers! You have all left footprints on our hearts and we are grateful for you.

Grateful and still breathing,
L

7 comments:

  1. Sweet (((((((((((LaTisha))))))))))),
    Gonna keep this short tonight just wanted you to know while your grateful so are we!!! Grateful for what your doing and will be doing because of your Faith!!! So while your still here and breathing we'll be right here with you from afar but oh so close with Big Big Hugs and even Bigger Prayers!!!
    Lots of Love...Hugs and Continued Prayers
    YSIC,
    ;o) Brenda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy One Month Angelversary to Faith! It seems strange to celebrate such a day but when we understand the magnitude and beauty God gives in our children, we can't do anything but celebrate! It seems all I say to you is "I feel your pain and I cry with you." But, that is truth and my reality as well. We will celebrate Abby's Angelversary (one month) on Nov. 5. As you know, it is bittersweet. My heart aches in the loss, but at the same time, my soul rejoices that she is being loved on and held by Jesus. And, no doubt, there are heavenly celebrations for both of our sweet angels.

    Love to you,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also at gymnastics on Tuesdays. I would love to come say Hello. Will you email me so we can figure out if our kiddos are there at the same time.

    Melinda
    mggordon@swbell.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. LaTisha,
    Count me as one who is standing in the gap in the middle of the night. Sometimes the Lord places you on my heart more than other times, but you are always there. Know how many people you have made a difference for and how your sharing urges others including me to a deeper walk of faith.
    Love and continued prayers,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear LaTisha,
    I am so grateful God has put your sweet Faith in my heart. I am blown away by the strength God has given you through Faith, and how you are able to share her with all of us. As you already know, God brought Faith into my home during our time of Hope, baby Abby. As a friend and/or family member you feel so helpless when someone you love and care about is going through such a difficult journey. You just want to reach out and take all the pain away and make everything better. Daily I prayed and still do for Abby. My heart ached to help the situation. There were a million thoughts going on in my head to try to make things better. I was trying with all my human power to make things better. It is crazy how our flesh can try to take over when we are not careful, then we say or think things like...."well, all I can do is pray." Praying is not all we can do, it is everything we can do! I am seeing the wonderful and amazing things that have and are happening in Hope and Faith's lives because of prayer. I am honored and humbled that God chose me to be a part of their lives, and allowed me to connect the dots between you and Melinda. I am in awe of what he has done. Like you said, it is no coincidence of all the similarities you two have. I believe big things are going to happen when you meet each other. My heart is exploding with excitement to see what is going to happen when two amazing mothers get together and share Hope and Faith with the world! My prayers are continued daily for you and your amazing family.

    Love,
    Karey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading how you handled the inevitable question about how many children do you have simply keeps me amazed at your ability to discuss Faith. While I have never met you and really don't know Shawn outside of being in the same class as Christy, I have to say that I am so proud of you (for lack of better words). Your ability to not shock people with the loss of Faith, but to share your faith and your daughter is amazing. Your honesty is something that is changing the world, one reader at a time. Stay strong my blogger friend.
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. One month ago God taught me and our family a deeper meaning of LOVE through FAITH!! We have grown and changed because of FAITH and I am soooo thankful for this journey. One month ago I saw Tis and Shawn let go and trust God with their baby girl. I saw their hearts break while wanting to share FAITH with all of us. One month ago I saw Jackson at age 3 love his little sister while being completely engaged and focused on FAITH (without hardly any sleep). He gave his FAITH bear to FAITH without hesitation and without expectiing anything in return...he taught me how to truly give.
    Tis, I remember clearly going with you to the first Tuesday night back at gymnastics since FAITH was born. We sat down and moments later the ladies behind us starting comparing labor and delivery stories. We looked at each other and said "Really? Of all the conversations that could happen behind us...that's what they are talking about?" I know that was hard, but it seems that God is using those moments to share FAITH'S story. It also seems that He has chosen you Tis, FAITH'S Mommy, as the best one to share FAITH with the world. You have a way through your writing, your honesty, and your compassion of being able to share FAITH'S story that can only be a Gift from God. FAITH'S story has touched so many lives and will continue to reach many more lives around the world. Thank you for continuing to share FAITH'S STORY!!! Thank you for opening up your heart to share FAITH'S story!!!
    Love Ya'll
    Christy

    ReplyDelete