Monday, November 1, 2010

Masterpiece

I had a conversation months ago with my Uncle Doug about art. I now know the Lord needed us to have that conversation so He could give me a deeper understanding today when I needed it most. One month ago, today, we buried Faith. Funny how God works like this-all of a sudden, the pieces just come together to make sense. First things first, I must apologize to all the people sitting at our church on Sunday. You all had to sit through the sermon because God needed to speak to us. I'm so happy you were there to join us, but please know that the sermon was directed to Shawn and I. Have you ever felt like that at church? God knows exactly where you are and uses everything around you to let you know He is actively working in your life!

The sermon Sunday was about God's masterpiece. The first part of the sermon was about death and how people look when they are dead-how their colors change, they don't move, and they don't breathe. For a couple who watched their daughter die before their very eyes a short month ago, this part of the sermon was particularly difficult to endure. This is how we were to God before He gave His Son to save us-we were lifeless. Through Christ we are alive, saved, and loved with a gift of grace given daily. Oh what a gift grace has been and continues to be!

Much of the sermon was spent on how we are God's masterpiece, His poem. He molds us and shapes us and then, when we are ready, He puts us on display for the world to see His artistry. The pastor and his wife spoke of their son who is a poet. He agonizes over poems until they are perfect-adding and deleting lines until the poem is a perfect reflection of what he feels in his heart. The poems take time, concentration, and heart. Oh how He loves us!

I love the word 'masterpiece.' We are a piece of our Master, our Lord and Savior. To make a masterpiece takes time and patience. Oh has He been patient with me! It still amazes me that He takes time to shape me into a better person. I am honored to think of the time He has spent thinking of ways to mold me...looking for areas in me that aren't quite ready for display. I think about how proud we are of Jackson as parents because this is the closest relationship I can think of to God's relationship with us. We love for his sweetness to be on display! Our God takes the same joy in us-He finds joy in putting His glory on display through us. Thank you, Father, for molding me and bringing me closer to You!

Now, back to my conversation with my uncle. A few months ago my Uncle Doug, an amazing artist, and I were talking about his artwork. He has some gorgeous pieces and I enjoy listening to his inspiration and insight into the art world. I have always wanted to sing beautifully or paint effortlessly...any way to bring beauty to this world. I am certain that, before I was born, I stood in a Heavenly talent line to be a singer or an artist. God had other talents in store for me, I guess. So, in turn, I love hearing about my uncle's artwork. He said the most unusual thing to me a few months ago and it held so much meaning and truth for me today after hearing the sermon at church yesterday. My uncle said, as I remember, that each piece of beautiful art has something in it that doesn't fit. Something in the piece is off or unbalanced, maybe even offensive. This, he said, is what draws us to the painting. We want to make sense of it and find the balance somehow.

God reminded me of my conversation with Uncle Doug today to show me that we are His perfect piece of art. There is a piece in our lives that doesn't make sense. It doesn't fit. It is hard to look at and we want to make sense of it somehow. Only the Artist knows the reason for the unbalance and only the Artist knows why it is there. It is our job to appreciate the beauty of all the colors and textures of His beautiful artwork. We have lost our daughter. It doesn't make sense to us and it hurts, but I am trusting God tonight that He is molding us into His beautiful masterpiece. We needed this part, the right here and right now, to be the family He has called us to be. We needed this part so we can be a display of God's grace and mercy. Whatever it takes, Lord, to bring us closer to You...whatever it takes.

Our family is in His construction phase right now. We were designed before time began, and now He is painstakingly constructing us to be His masterpiece. He has taken so much time to make sure we are 'just right.' Faith is our portion of the masterpiece that is hard to gaze upon. Why did the Artist do that? One day we will know...we will hold Faith in our arms again and we will know. He promised. Our painting is not ready...but we are getting closer. Closer to seeing the beauty and closer to our God.

One month ago today, we buried our baby girl. Oh, how my heart and arms ache for her tonight. It feels in some ways like it was yesterday and time has flown. But, in a greater sense, the time I held her in my arms seems so far away. I feel the time slipping by-her slipping into what people would consider our past. I honestly don't know if she ever will be in our past and I don't want her to be. She is an active force in our family-something God continues to use daily to bring us closer to him, to complete our masterpiece. God brought us a gift this weekend to remind us He is with us and knows how we ache for her.  There was a beautiful yellow butterfly that fluttered around our front yard for more than five minutes. She danced from flower to flower and let me get closer to her than I expected. I know He sent the butterfly to show us Faith is here with us and will always be. She is an intregal part of the masterpiece He is busy constructing in us!

I pray tonight that you see ways our amazing and gracious God has worked His artistry to create a Masterpiece in you. You are His precious child and He works all things for good...even when they don't seem right. You are a beautiful work in progress and will make a fabulous masterpiece!

With love,
LaTisha

2 comments:

  1. LaTisha,
    Oh how proud our Lord is of His masterpiece. You are that masterpiece along with Faith. Not many of us get it, but you are one of the few that heard and have received His message.
    Let the healing begin!
    God bless you and your family, God's Masterpiece!
    All our love and prayers to you and your family!
    Aunt Claudia & Uncle Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your story of Faith! I have shared it with many, and they too have been moved by such an awesome story!
    I pray daily that your emptyness starts to heal.

    ReplyDelete